Dragon Boat Racing - Hilarity for Charity
Welcome to the thrilling world of Dragon Boat racing.
Dragon Boat racing is steeped in mythology and has been around for many thousands of years in China. Popular legend has it that because of the racing, Chinese dragons would bring rain. Of course it is hoped that this doesn't happen at the Fair!
Walk down to the lakeside to the start of the course and watch all the excitement. Each crew is composed of a drummer and 16 paddlers who race in Chinese-style Dragon Boats over the 250 metre course. The races will run from 10.30am until about 3.30pm.
Friends, colleagues, clubs, pubs, societies and charities from across the region get together to form crews and take part in the Dragon Boat Racing, held on the lake at Sherborne Castle on the day of the Fair. Teams may raise money from sponsorshipfor their chosen charities - all monies raised through their sponsorship goes direct to organisations of their choice. An exhilarating day for the competitors, a thrilling show for the spectators and an exciting way to fundraise for charity.
If you are interested in entering a team, you may find the following information helpful:
- All boats, safety equipment and briefing will be provided.
- Crews taking part need no previous experience.
- Each crew will have 16 paddlers plus a drummer.
- Up to 20 team members may register and can be substituted between races; all 20 team members will have free entry to the Fair.
- Minimum age is 12. Children from 12-16 to be accompanied by a responsible adult. Youth teams can be entered; members up to age 17.
- Briefing for all teams from 10.15am on the day; minimum of 3 races for each team will run between 10.30am to 3.30pm approx; adult and youth finals take place at 4pm.
- Prizes awarded to overall winning team and winners of the youth race.
If you would like to find out more please contact us or alternatively please click on the link below to enter a team.
1st RDA Chargers (Milton Abbas RDA): 1 min 1.97 sec
2nd Honey Badgers (AFV TTS ARMCEN Bovington): 1 min 2.51 sec
3rd HMS Hasselhoff (Oxley Sports Centre, Sherborne): 1 min 3.02 sec
4th Steel Shifters (AJN Steelstock): 1 min 5.70 sec
The Youth team winners were Leweston School.
The prize for the most deserving team was presented to The Hub Yeovil.